Look at this girl! She started out as a tiny 28 week-er, living in an incubator, hooked up to all kinds of monitors, oxygen, and IVs, eating from a tube, and wearing diapers the size of a saltine cracker. Well, watch out world, because Miss Sophie has other plans.
.
29 weeks
.
Sophie has a reputation for being "feisty." In order to keep her IVs from coming out, the nurses put a splint on her arm for about a week.
.
Preemies are still quite immature when it comes to feeding. They can't really coordinate the suck/swallow/breathe reflex until around their due date. Sophie is learning how to take a bottle for a few of her feedings, but it's still overwhelming for her. She gulps it down so fast that she can't breathe. The goal is to eventually work up to nursing. Right now, I pump my milk and bring it in to the hospital, where they freeze it and use it for the feedings.
.
The NICU keeps the babies on a strict three hour schedule for feedings, diaper changes, etc. The hospital is close to Brady's work, so he's able to visit her after work and on lunch breaks.
We're getting a few smiles in her sleep. (I think the nurses are photographers too, because they've taken some of our favorite pictures of Sophie.)
.
34 weeks and already voicing her opinion--it's the fighter in her.
.
Snug as a bug in a rug.
.
I can't believe how quickly she is growing. In order for her to come home, she needs to take all of her feedings by bottle or nursing, and be apnea-free for at least one full week. We're not quite there yet, but as you know, she's a feisty little fighter, so I'm sure home is right around the corner.
Preemies are still quite immature when it comes to feeding. They can't really coordinate the suck/swallow/breathe reflex until around their due date. Sophie is learning how to take a bottle for a few of her feedings, but it's still overwhelming for her. She gulps it down so fast that she can't breathe. The goal is to eventually work up to nursing. Right now, I pump my milk and bring it in to the hospital, where they freeze it and use it for the feedings.
.The NICU keeps the babies on a strict three hour schedule for feedings, diaper changes, etc. The hospital is close to Brady's work, so he's able to visit her after work and on lunch breaks.
.
They weigh her every night. Thankfully, she's been pretty consistent with her weight gain--about an ounce a night. The picture on the left was taken a week after she was born and she weighed 2.13 lbs. The picture on the left was taken this week and she weighed 4.9 lbs. (As of today, she's 5 lbs!)
.We're getting a few smiles in her sleep. (I think the nurses are photographers too, because they've taken some of our favorite pictures of Sophie.)
.34 weeks and already voicing her opinion--it's the fighter in her.
.Snug as a bug in a rug.
I can't believe how quickly she is growing. In order for her to come home, she needs to take all of her feedings by bottle or nursing, and be apnea-free for at least one full week. We're not quite there yet, but as you know, she's a feisty little fighter, so I'm sure home is right around the corner.

16 comments:
This is so wonderful!! I've been wondering how you guys are doing, so it's great to get an update! She has grown so much!! That girl is going to grow up to be a world-changer of some sort. She obviously knows how to overcome obstacles! :)
I am so glad that she's doing so well! She look so cute in that last little picture - well, all of them, but I like hte last one of her. I hope you guys are surviving too!
i can't stop smiling! i love her to pieces. you just keep on doing whatever it is you are doing and she will be home in no time. she just wanted to keep you on your toes by coming early!
I love good news! She is an amazing baby!!
Thanks for the update. Sophie has grown so much! I'm so glad to hear this great news.
She is looking so good and she's just beautiful. I'm excited for her to come home with you guys.
I can't express how my heart soars when I see that little Sophia is thriving! She is truly a miracle, and she is so blessed to have such an amazing family!
Love ya,
Karine
She weighs 5 lbs already? Oh my gosh, that's great!!! She looks so plump and adorable! Now I can see how beautiful she is just like her mommy! The pink outfit is so cute... I'm glad that Brady worked near the hospital so that he could visit her often. Hey, when you guys give a talk at church next time, please invite us. I wanna hear it. Love, June
Oh she is soooo beautiful! I love that baby! She has some great expressions, doesn't she? What a sweetheart. Punch it in Sophie! You are doing fantastic!
Thanks for the new pictures! She is looking a lot like Mya in one of them! 5 lbs is a great milestone-congrats. Love, Lisa
She is a cute, cute baby. Anthony
Holy cow she's a fattie! That is absolutely wonderful! I am so happy for you guys. She'll be home in no time. Wow!
Sarah-
What a huge blessing. God is good! I need to plan a trip out to see you guys! Does she get visitors? I am driving to Utah again in a few weeks. Can I stop? Love you guys! I am going to the temple today and will put your names in again!
Ange
I'm so relieved to hear all the great growing news! Carson was 5 lbs when he was born and I thought he was tiny and to you that's double the size. IT's madness! I'm so happy for you guys and little Sophie getting spicy with life.
Oh my goodness, my heart was just jumping up and down the whole time I was reading this post! I am so excited for all of you. We already love little Sophie without even meeting her yet. What a beautiful little spirit you have on your hands!!!
Thinking about that little fighter right now. I am so proud of all of her hard work. And yours too, Brady, Sarah, and Mya. I love you guys so much.
Post a Comment