Monday, November 24, 2008

Hello, Edward


Well, I have to say, for me, second time around seeing Twilight finally won me over completely. The first time I saw it I think I was too caught up in how it would compare to the book. My expectations were pretty low to begin with, so I liked it, but I wasn't sure if I loved it. Then I took Brady the second time around and I loved it (he loved it by the way, but not in that girly way that I do).

I really only have two major complaints: Bella's acting skills and the "irrevocably" horrible job they did with the meadow scene. I think of all the scenes that should have been kept the same from the book, it should have been the meadow. That scene just felt all muddled into one big blob of emotions, but it seemed to flow so well in the book. Well, you can't win 'em all, I guess. However, I do think they did a great job with the accident scene in the school parking lot, the ballet studio, the baseball field, and they nailed the Cullens' house, at least how I saw it in my mind. I hope the budget for New Moon is significantly higher, and let's just hope Kristen takes some more acting workshops before then.
.
All in all, they did a really good job with what they had to work with. And I do like Robert Pattinson now. I honestly wasn't sure if I would, but he fits the part. I think it's good that he isn't as well known; it gives him more credibility. I think the role of Edward would not have been as good if anyone famous had played him.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm glad Brady liked it! Steve loved it too (and even came with me when I saw it for the 3rd time, his second time.)

I lovooooovvvved the movie. I think there are lots of little things that bugged me, but what surprised me (and pleased me) the most about it was that it totally brought back that whole magical "feel" that the book leaves you in when you finish reading it. They did such a good job of bringing that whole feeling back.

So, here are my nitpicks:

#1: The sound effects when Edward is moving fast. We didn't need a "whoosh!" sound to know he was going fast. Really, we didn't need the blur behind him either. I wish they would have just shown him quickly get to the next spot by him suddenly being there, yaknow? The whoosh was cheesy.

#2: Kristen's acting. Now, this didn't bug me the first time I saw it. I thought she played akward teenager perfect. But then I watched a few interviews with her and realized that's just how she ALWAYS is. So then when I saw the movie again, it just felt like I was watching Kristen... not Bella.

#3: That we got music-over-dubbed shots of them having conversation. Why couldn't we hear the dialogue? The movie could have been like, 5-10 minutes longer and included the dialogue between Edward and Bella instead of just shots of them talking where we couldn't hear them. Those conversations were one of my favorite parts of the book!

Okay... now what I LOVED:

#1: Edward. Rob Pattinson. Oh my lord is he beautiful and perfect. He played the part amazingly, and he's an astounding actor. And: SWOON! Gorgeous!!!! Then, him singing in the music in the Restaurant scene and the Ballet studio? His voice is amazing and so full of soul... SWOON AGAIN!

#2: The cinematography. I loved the angles and closeups and the way they moved the cameras. Much like how your eyes see things when it's very personal and emotional. Loved it.

#3: The depiction of small-town Washington. PERFECT.

#4: The scene where Edward is trying to stop drinking Bellas blood, and it goes into all those flashbacks? So emotional... and I loved it. Like, there are no words. :)

#5: The Baseball scene! So badass! I wanted to rewind it and watch it again. I wish it was a little longer.

Okay I could go on and on and on. But the pros definitely outweighed the cons, and I can't wait for New Moon!!!

Sarady said...

Jenny,

I agree! On everything. I know what you mean about the 'woosh' sound--not necessary at all. But, what do you mean his singing in the restaurnt and ballet studio. Is he singing songs in the movie? Did I miss that? Fill me in, lady. Your mom was telling me that they filmed the movie about an hour from their house. How cool. They definitely captured the feel and heart of the movie, town, characters (well most of them--not Jasper, in my opinion)all of it.

Anonymous said...

The movie:

I think overall the movie was good. There was enough romance for the ladies and some action for the men. It was kind of weird that Sarah and I were one of the oldest couples in the theater. I think it summarized the book and painted the picture for the twilight movie series. I think new moon and the others could have some really cool actoin scenes. Overall it was good. There were some cheesy parts. But, how are you going to film all the supernatural vampire moves?

Two thumbs up!

-Anonymous writer-

The Cannons said...

I haven't seen it again yet but I'm excited too. Oh and ditto on Jasper...what the.
Mitzi

Mugs said...

I can't wait to comment on this...but just now monos needs me. Your assessment is awesome. More later. Love you.

Jenny said...

Oh, do you have the Twilight soundtrack yet?? I didn't realize it until I got it, but the background music in the Restaurant scene and also the scene where he's drinking bellas blood in the ballet studio are actually songs sung by Robert! I didn't know the first time I saw the movie, but WOW. Once I found out I've been listening and re-listening to the songs over and over. His voice is SO SEXY.

If you want, I can email you the album! I think that studio isn't hurting for your $20 to buy it. :)

Jen

Mugs said...

I've only seen it once, and like you and Jenny I have a little list of pros and cons. I LOVED Bella's hair. Seriously. Those long, dark locks were very bella-ish to me. Now onto the more important stuff. I think the casting for this movie was pretty much spot on. I thought James was perfect. I really grew to love the guy they picked for Jacob...although I was skeptical at first. Charlie was great. Even Jessica! Her character killed me. That actress brought the character to life for me and made me laugh. Edward....hmmm. It's going to take a sequel for me to be totally satisfied I think. This was a good warm-up, but I think he could do so much better. I liked Bella, but I wish I liked her more. The bad vampires were great, and I loved how they seemed to glide over the ground. I know there's more..but I can't think of it right now. All in all, it was an above average flick, but I hope the next one is better. Can't wait to see Jacob with his hair shaved. Woo woo!

Hawkins Family said...

Well, I'm a little embarassed to say that I've seen it 3 times now and I liked it more an more each time. There are definitely somethings that I didn't like..(Jasper and I quote Michael "looks and acts like Edward Scissor Hands"!) and a few others that have already been mentioned by others. But overall I was very pleased and I'm looking forward to New Moon. Michael really liked it too. The soundtrack is great! It just got me reobsessed with the series! Hope you guys are doing well. How far is Yakima from Boise? Mike was saying we should meet half way or something sometime for a day! Maybe that is too far for a day trip though? Anyway...I'll tell Mike to call Brady!