Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The saga continues...

Brace yourselves...this is a long one. As you may have already read, my friend Karine and I took a little road trip to Portland last week to see Stephenie Meyer. No kids, no husbands, just us girls. As you can imagine, this was a welcomed trip on many different levels.

The book signing sold out over a month ago, so we were lucky to get tickets when we did (luck was the name of the game on this trip). Karine's sister-in-law was also planning on going, but was unable to go at the last minute and had to sell her ticket. We found a poor soul on Craig's List, who was willing to sell her life away, and we gladly took her up on her offer. That was our second stroke of luck; we thought the tickets were assigned seating, but as it turned out, it was just general admission and a line was already forming at 10 a.m. (the event started at 7 p.m.). We talked the girl into saving us a place in line, and in exchange we dropped the price of her ticket.

Our third stroke of luck happened when we finally got to the book signing 10 minutes before the doors opened (after getting lost a few times in one of the most confusing cities ever, and starving to death because we were in such a hurry to get there). The girl was happily waiting for us, almost at the front of the line, which meant we got pretty good seats, and we got through the signing line pretty fast. I think we were there a total of two hours.


We decided to be true fan-girls and make some classy t-shirts. It was pretty entertaining to watch people try to read our shirts after they caught the word "virgin." I can't help it, my heart belongs to Edward. He is my Virgin Vegan. (Vegan because he abstains from eating humans, and well, the virgin part is self-explanatory. I love that SM created moral vampires.) When Stephenie saw Karine's shirt, she let out a little snort and said, "that's good."

The theater was extremely dark (and I'm not a very good photographer), but I managed to get a few shots and couple of very poor videos.



Stephenie talked a little bit about The Host and answered some Twilight saga related questions. She is really down-to-earth. She seems very humble and very connected to her readers. She doesn't act like a person who is taking over the book world. She's just your regular (Mormon) mom, who loves to write for herself, and happened to strike it big.

The book signing was by far the best part. I was really excited and nervous to meet her. I wanted to say something, but I didn't want to say something dumb. Here's the conversation that transpired:

SM: Hi, Sarah.

Me: Hi, Stephenie. (Nervous pause.) Thank you for awakening emotions in me that I forgot I had. (Me, hovering over the table, big dorky grin on my face, probably invading her personal space).

SM: You're welcome. You know, writing my books has awakened emotions in me that I forgot I had, as well. (Big smile back.)

Me: Can we be best friends? (It's probably good I didn't really say that.)

Fourth stroke of luck: Stephenie said she would sign two of the Twilight saga books, in addition to the copy of The Host, which was included in the ticket price, and she would only personalize The Host. I only brought Twilight and New Moon with me, so my poor copy of Eclipse was left at home; but, she arrived to the bookstore early that day and signed copies of all of her books, so I was able to buy a signed copy of Eclipse, too. Now I just have to figure out how to get Breaking Dawn signed. I know, I sound obsessed. Don't judge me.

Well, at this point, our starvation went into overdrive (as you can see, we look like blood-thirsty "Newborn Vampires" here. It was a long day!), but we made it to The Melting Pot just before they closed (fifth stroke of luck). Karine opened my taste buds to a whole new world that is fondue. We got the works: cheese; shrimp; salmon; veggies; and for dessert--S'mores fondue. I can't even describe the scrumptious-ness. I'm pretty sure I gained five pounds just in that one dining experience.

Well, if you’ve made it this far in the post, you might as well know that we spent the night in Portland, shopped the next day, and then drove home. It was a short trip, but oh-so-fun! I will most definitely be taking more "girls only" trips in the future, and every one is invited (as long as you are a girl).

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Ah! I'm so jealous! That sounds so fun and it's awesome that you had so much luck! And I'm also so glad you've discovered the LOVE that is Melting Pot. Fondue is now my favorite food, after discovering that place! Although, whenever I leave there I feel like a whale and am not hungry again for a whole day. :)

BTW, I found a copy of the 1st chapter of Breaking Dawn online! If you want me to email it to you email me! :)

LYLAS!

Sarady said...

Mitzi,
you are not retarded. I probably should have clarified a little more. Vegan just refers to Edward refraining from eating humans (just like a "vegan" would refrain from eating meat). I don't actually want a vegan, I just want Edward, who happens to be both a "vegan" and a virgin. Brady is aware of this fictional crush and often refers to himself as Edward. Haha. I think that's the real reason he is reading the books.

Jenny said...

^ Don't worry, Sarah. I'm in love with Edward too. Many a husband have to deal with our fictional boyfriend Edward. :) And that's awesome that Brady is reading it! Steve read it too, and liked it despite the "not long enough action scenes" hahahaha!

Sarady said...

Hey, that's pretty funny. Brady said the same thing about the awesome action scenes. I think that's what he's most excited about in the movie. He is almost done with New Moon. He would probably be done if he knew about all the action at the end of it. Also, about Breaking Dawn. I can't decide if I want to wait to read the whole thing or spoil anything for myself. Did you read the first chapter? Is it really the first chapter? SM said on her website that there were some false chapters floating around.

Carrie Snider said...

Can I borrow your signed copies? I'll only eat Cheetos when I read them. ;) Just kidding. I'm one of the losers who hasn't read her books yet, but I keep hearing great things. Glad you had fun on your road trippie!

Jenny said...

Really? Oh maybe it isn't the real first chapter! Hahaha. It was pretty good, though. It's just your typical 1st chapter - doesn't really give anything away, just a teaser. :)

Mugs said...

What a great time! The t-shirts look awesome! They don't even look homemade. They'd sell like hot cakes if you ever went into business. My admiration for Stephenie has increased even more after reading your post - and it was pretty hight to begin with.

Life with the Warrens said...

you looked so hot in the pics that edward would have eaten you up in public. bella aint got nothin on you! i do love the shirt. you are so freakin awesome. wish i could have gone and caused a scene. and the melting pot is soo good you have to roll yourself out! i am connected to the free WWW now!!!

Life with the Warrens said...

ps- your shirt is really cute! where did you spring that one?

Cort said...

So what is the HOST? I thought there were only 3 and the 4th was coming? I'm confused. And you did look super hot! You're so freaking fun, I miss you.

Anonymous said...

It is so awesome meeting an artist/author. It is really something to write home about. unless your home is up the street, then i would just save a stamp and deliver it myself. but with these gas prices...i guess you could walk, its good for your blood pressure.

brad