I'm usually not one to get too sentimental on the blog, but I just feel like I need to express a few things about how precious our time here on Earth truly is.
A few short months ago, my dad's closest friend passed away from an unexpected head injury at work. My dad was with him during the final moments of his life. I have never seen my dad so devastated, and although he knows he will see his friend again, he agonized over such a drastic change--with no warning. I have memories from years ago of my dad and his friend fishing together, hunting, playing practical jokes, etc. Their friendship was one that surely shaped who my father is today.
Sadly, just last week, my mom's closest friend of over 40 years, passed away unexpectedly--ironically from a head injury. This friend introduced my mom to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She helped my mom gain a testimony. She and my mom caused more havoc than any other duo I've heard of. The humor they shared as friends through the years is the same humor that I know and love in my mom today. As I listened at her funeral, I was taken aback at just how close they truly were. My humble mom, who never wants attention in any way, was mentioned several times as a true friend to Sheri. Stories were told of their mischievousness and their humor. I realized that just as her family felt my mom shaped her life, Sheri has shaped my mom's life in the same way. All of the little "dorky" jokes that I've heard my mom say over the years, or the way she acts goofy, were little parts of Sheri. Suddenly, those "dorky" jokes weren't so dorky anymore, and I saw my mom in her role as Sheri's best friend rather than in the role of my mother.
Both of these friends influenced my parents' lives more than I can understand. They brought happiness to my parents' lives, which bubbled over into my life and the lives of my brothers. I am sure that I am impacted in ways that I am not even aware of because of these friends. I am grateful that they let their infectious personalities shine and lift others.
We may never know the impact we have on others' lives, but we know the impact others have on us. I have learned that all of the friendships I have are precious in their own unique ways. Each person has molded me into the person I have become. Funny to think that even my parents' friends have done so. The learning experiences over the past few months have been abundant, but the one that hits home the hardest is not to take my friendships for granted. You never know about tomorrow. This time we have together is too important to let the little things interfere.
That said, my friends, I love you. Yes, you! If I haven't kept in touch the way I know I should, I'm gonna' do better. (Thank goodness for blogs. I have reunited with so many of you and I love it.) If I've offended you, please forgive me--it wasn't intentional. If I've been less than pleasant at times, I know and I'm working on it, and thank you for loving me anyway. I am truly blessed because of you.
PART TWO:
As I mentioned, Mya and I accompanied my mom to Utah for the funeral. Now, before all you Utahins throw tomatoes at me, please remember our trip was short and bittersweet. I wish that I could have visited you all, (and I realize not visiting was probably a total contradiction of the above post) but if I had had more time, you know we would have been hanging out at Cafe Rio, or the Discovery Museum, or taking a walk to the park, or tearing up Ikea, or just goofing off.
We were able to visit Brady's sister, Adrea and her family for a brief hour in the park. Mya had so much fun with her cousin, Keylan. Thanks for meeting up with us, guys. Sorry we missed you, Kaylee.
Since we were in the "Vo" (Provo), we had to stop at Krispy Kreme for Mya's sake. I have to admit, I like Krispy Kreme, but I don't love it. Their donuts are so sweet. Nevertheless, Mya enjoyed her experience and got to watch how greasy donuts are made. Ellie had a blast, as well.
We made it home on Friday, after almost 13 grueling hours in the car. Mya did well considering the situation. We owe many thanks to Dora and Barney.
7 comments:
Sarah--I thought you lived in Utah. Did you move?
If I was the CEO of Krispy Kreme I would blow up that top picture of Mya and her elephant and use it as a billboard in every state across the nation. That is an absolutely PERFECT picture.
I am sincerely sorry for the loss of Fred and Eva's best friends. I hope your parents have been able to feel peace in unexpected ways during their sad moments. I loved what you said about suddenly seeing your mom as a best friend, and not just a mom. We moms are many things that people don't know about, aren't we?
Your post has had me thinking a lot, as I read it a couple of times last night. I think you are right that friends shape who we are in many ways. I'm glad for the shaping that I've experienced with you; glad you are my sister forever.
Sarah, I was not prepared for the tears that welled up in my eyes making it hard to finish reading that post. well the part before i smiled with Mya. You wrote it so beautifully. give a squeeze to your parents for me and just tell them that they have left a part of themselves in my heart forever. you have the rest of it.
I love you too!! I won't throw tomatoes at you, but I will cry now that I know you were so close, yet so far away. It would've been fun for you to see our big bellies in real life and to see Sarah B's new baby boy.
Love to you, Brady, Mya, and Ellie. xoxoxoxo
:) No tomatos from me. God knows I could've been a much better friend/cousin and kept in better contact over the last decade! That being said, you're totally right about friends. You know for sure how much you've affected my life & my sense of humor, and I'll always be the better for it. :) See you in a few!
thanks for the beautiful post. and i hope you know how much i appreciate your friendship--even though our time together only added up to only a few months, you've taught me much, my friend. so amazing to make a forever friend in such a short time. love you, too, hermana!
Loved the post. And speaking of keeping in touch, I will be in Yakivegas for the 4th of July weekend. We are having a barbecue on Saturday at my dad's place. All is invited. And you could meet my BF! I have been missing you and Karine lots lately. Miss those days, but am glad you two have each other!
Post a Comment