Wednesday, December 05, 2007

I Shouldn't Be Alive!

Every year, my dad is on the hunt for the perfect Christmas tree. It's become quite a tradition in the MacDonald household and this year, Brady and I decided to take part. We all piled in my dad's truck (I already go into fits of panic when Mya is in some one's car other than ours) and headed up the ridge. Don't ask me how my dad finds these places, but the road was ever-so-skinny, overlooking the Columbia River--about 200 ft down (this could be inaccurate, but let's just say it was a long way down). About a mile into our trek, the icy slush pushed us to the outer edge of the road; we were about one foot away from plummeting over the side. One false move and we were goners. I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack. My dad pulled some fancy maneuvers by backing up (along the edge) until we got to more level ground. Good thinking. I don't think we could have pulled forward even if we wanted to. Needless to say, we all got out and walked after that. The day got better and safer when we got to lower ground and we actually had a really good time. But I have to be honest, I don't think I've ever felt fear like that...and having a child definitely intensifies that.


The scene of the accident. If you look close, you can see the marks where the tires were--about a foot or so to the right of my dad. I wasn't kidding when I said we could have gone over.

*

Brad and Kelly are standing in the exact spot where the truck was.


This is what we looked down upon. It still freaks me out just thinking about it!

6 comments:

Mugs said...

It freaks ME out just thinking about it. I had no idea about this little brush with death! So glad you are alive dudes.

Mugs said...

The bloggy blog is looking dopity dope!

Anonymous said...

I must say that I am grateful you didn't plummet into the river. Who else is Maddie going to torture? :)

Anonymous said...

Now you know how I feel all the time. Don't forget we almost hit a deer a few days before that. Columbia River? Isn't that the Mississippi River?

Mugs said...

Ooooh! I love your blog background! Very festive. I love you, too.

Sarady said...

Thanks, Mugs. I didn't have time to figure out the cool one that you made, so I went generic. It works, though.